How My Current Students Define Quality
Another semester of instructing outstanding undergraduate and graduate students at Ferris State University is underway. This semester I have three courses and 85 students; 44 of these students are in MGMT 370 Quality/Operations Management. As is usual, I would explain to my students in this course that if you asked 10 different quality professionals to define quality you would get 10 different answers. So in their groups, I had them craft their own definition of quality. It’s only week two of the course and I think they did pretty good.
Here are how my students define quality…
· Team Amy, Witni, Erica, Gina, Kyle, and Rachel definition: To be precise in a professional manner with excellent, accurate service that exceeds client and community standards and expectations.
· Team Kellie, Hailley, Eric, and John definition: 1) Characteristics of a service or good that meets or exceeds expectations of the stakeholders. 2) Degree of excellence of something. 3) Standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind.
· Team Maria, Mike, Carson, Gaurav, and Kevin definition: Quality is satisfying a defined expectation.
· Team James, Abu, Mike, Chris, and Conner definition: 1) The best. 2) Keeping standards as high as possible. 3) High standard of excellence of product, service, employees, from top to bottom.
· Team Jake, Drew, and Brynadette definition: Quality is a combination of value you receive from a product or service, constructed of positive feedback, longevity above standard expectations.
· Team Elizabeth, Colten, Amanda, Karen, and Courtney definition: Delivering expected goods or services on time without defect.
· Team Jessica, Aisha, Jamie, Mayom, Chrissy, and Mike definition: A consistent standard that meets a set of measurements agreed upon by an industry?
· Team Andrea, Ben, and Abdul definition: 1) Long-lasting. 2) Above average / Excellent / Superior. 3) Durable. 4) Passes industry standards (certification, seal, etc.).
My definition of quality remains the same…
· Quality is an abstract state of excellence or goodness characterized by the extent to which discriminating consumers are satisfied with the particular product and/or service consumed.